Pro Loco of Fagnano Olona
English version

HOW TO REACH FAGNANO OLONA

 

Fagnano Olona lies in the Province of Varese (VA).

Fagnano map by Google Maps

 

To reach Fagnano Olona, take A8 toll road Milan-Lakes (exit: Busto Arsizio, 5 km), Route 2.

Its nearest train station lie in Busto Arsizio, Gallarate and Tradate.

 

Milan’s Malpensa Intercontinental Airport is about 16 km away from Fagnano Olona.

Interactive Map of Fagnano Olona

Province of Varese map


A HISTORICAL PROFILE

 

The earliest document mentioning Fagnano Olona dates to 1045: it is a parchement in which Emperor Henty III confirmed the ownership of some estates around Faniani by Milan St. Dionysius’ Monastery.

However, the origins of Fagnano Olona can be traced back to Roman days, as testified by relics found in its municipal territory and its place name itself, which comes from the Latin Fannianus, pointing at the aristocratic name of Fannius. In the Middle Ages, Fagnano shared the fortunes of the Fief and the Parish of Olgiate Olona, both belonging of Seprio Committee, having Castelseprio as capital.

The strategical position of its castle – from where it was possible to control the Olona River and the road connecting Castelseprio and Milan – made so that local powerful families often contended over Fagnano.

In particular, the fight between the Della Torres and the Viscontis in the 13th century were very bloody.

In 1287, the Seprio territory finally fell into the hands of the Viscontis and Fagnano was divided into two parts: one including the castle went to Giovanni Visconti, the other including an older fortress, the “Castellazzo”, went to Azzo Visconti and his descendants (the Viscontis of Jerago).

Towards the mid-1400s, Fagnano castle was turned into a mansion: it resumed its defensive role in the 1500s, when a bitter conflict between the Spanish and the French broke out.

In 1551, Emperor Charles V granted the title of Count of Fagnano to Vitaliano Visconti Borromeo.

The fief was suppressed on 24 May 1798.

After changing hands several times, the castle now belongs to the Municipality.

A TOUR OF FAGNANO OLONA

Photographic Album of Fagnano Olona

Churches and other religious buildings:
Church of Our Lady of the Woods (1400)

Cappella of Saint Martino (1741)

St. Gaudentius’ Parish Church (1743)

Oratory of the Immaculate (1752)
Oratory of Sant'Anna (1762)
Church of Saint Rocco

St. John the Baptist’s Church

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption (1971)

Castles and Fortifications:
The Viscontis’ Castle

The Viscontis’ Castle

The complex is accessible through a bridge.

An almost dry moat reminds us of the military nature of the castle.

A Baroque portal ushers into a courtyard with two 16th-century’s cores at its sides, added by Gaspare Visconti.

A 15th-century’s stone bas-relief of the Virgin Mary is noticeable to the left of the façade.

Another courtyard bears 1400s’ character and Viscontis’ coat of arms, featuring a snake swallowing a human figure.

The castle had originally two towers to be found in the 1400s’ part of the compound.

Church of Our Lady of the Woods

This is the oldest place of worship in Fagnano Olona.

Its high chapel (14th or 15th century) is likely all that remains of the original building: in the mid-18th century, the church was raised and a nave added to it.

The church owes its name to a wooden statue of our Lady of Mercy, allegedly found in a wood.

It’s lower part dates.

It hosts many valuable works of art, such as a 17th century’s Pietà, a 1700s’ frontal and some 1613s’ frescoes by Domenico Pellegrino.

 

Oratory of Sant'Anna

 

 

St. Gaudentius’ Parish Church

Erected in the first half of the 1700s, it is the largest church in Fagnano Olona.

It holds a particulary interesting 1300s image of Our Lady of Divine Providence as well as decorations dating to the 19th and 20th centuries.

 

Cappella of Saint Martino

His expensive restoration has been possible thanks to the contribution of the Common of Fagnano Olona, to the financings be them obtained from the Law Financial institution of 2006 through Fausto Bossi, and from financings of Foundations and Province of Varese.

 

Click here for watch the images before and after the restorations

St. John the Baptist’s Church

Likely known since the 15th century, today’s building features changes made in the 1960s.

Church of Our Lady of the Assumption

The foundation stone of this church was laid in 1971, while its consecration occurred on 8 December 1983.

Architect Polvara designed it for Monsignor Molinari.

Manigunda Springs

Lying in the village of Bergoro, legend has it that Manigunda, a Lombardic noblewoman, was healed by drinking some of its water and established Cairate Convent in 737 to express her gratitude.